Monday, February 25, 2013

Thank you for the music!

With over 60 Bollywood movies under my belt but many more to go, I want to record a collection of some of my favorite songs, dance numbers, or song picturizations thus far.  I plan to look back with nostalgia at a later date, seeing, perhaps, what was knocked out by later favorites and what managed to stand the test of time.

I have created the categorizations to fit my favorites, rather than the other way around. There are certain recurring themes in Bollywood music, and if I were to list only one "Favorite Romantic Song," for example, it would leave a lot of other favorites out. Not that I'm not inevitably leaving a lot of favorites out, anyway. The music and dancing are a big part of my love for Bollywood, and I have so many favorites. I would even say... "a plethora." It's hard to narrow them down. For me it's like being presented with a room full of Cadbury chocolate products, and asked to pick favorites.

Brace for a video onslaught!

Favorite Bhangara-inspired Dance-to-the-Drum Song:
"Nagada Nagada" from Jab We Met. This is the song and performance that truly hooked me on Bollywood.



It is so colorful, infectious, and joyful! I knew I had to see more of these kinds of movies.







Favorite Romantic Song:
"Tujh Mein Rab Dikhta Hai" from Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi. No contest so far. This truly gives me a warm, bubbly feeling inside.





Favorite Item Number:
"Kajra Re" from Bunty Aur Babli. A true item number, having nothing whatsoever to do with the plot but only functioning to show off a beautiful woman who has fabulous moves. Aishwarya Rai is so graceful and lovely in this.





Favorite Romantic Song Involving the Woman Imagining Her Love Who Isn't Really There:
"Yahaan Hoon" from Veer-Zaara. Zaara is preparing for her arranged wedding to another man in this picturization, while her true love, Veer, keeps getting in the picture. Watching this, I can't believe I ever thought SRK was ugly. What was wrong with me?



Favorite Romantic Song Involving the Man Imagining His Love Who Isn't Really There:
"Tum Se Hi" from Jab We Met. Aditya's life is better because he met Geet, and he sees her everywhere. I don't even mind that they don't have Shahid dance much in this. It is so sweet.





Favorite Happy Wedding Celebration Song:
"Maahi Ve" from Kal Ho Naa Ho. The happiest part of a tear-jerker of a movie. It's the engagement party! Couldn't find a version with subtitles for this one, but I guarantee it's fun to watch anyway.



Favorite Melancholy Romantic Song:
"Khaali Hai" from Paheli. What a beautiful, haunting song from a fascinating, fantastical movie. I love this movie, except I'm not sure about the ending.




Favorite Happy-College-Kids-Dancing Song:
"Chale Jaise Hawaien" from Main Hoon Na. Watch how much of the first part of the dance is all one take. Impressive, is it not? And Amrita Rao is adorable.


Favorite Song from a Movie I Haven't Actually Seen Yet:
"Aati Kya Khandala" from Ghulam.



Favorite Dancing-on-a-Train Number:
"Chaiyya Chaiyya" from Dil Se. Okay, it's also the only dancing-on-a-train song I've ever seen. This song is spectacular, and may be my very favorite at the moment. Fun, romantic, and daring- it's pure entertainment.



No comments:

Post a Comment